Thursday, April 19, 2018

New Streams and Old Haunts

Went searching yesterday. Somewhat aimlessly. Fortunately even relatively aimless searching can bring up good results. Noah and I fished some eastern CT streams, a few of which I haven't fished and one of which is a familiar place for me. My only sea run brown trout came from there, actually. But the first place that was really worth visiting was a small suburban stream that I suspected would have brookies and browns. It definitely had the former, of which I caught a half dozen, but I cannot yet confirm the latter yet.





On to familiar water. A cormorant was messing things up for use here, and it made the chances of catching a brown that had seen some salt much more difficult, but a strong stonefly hatch was on and a few fish were rising aggressively. I stopped fishing to take some photos. 




The frustrating part about this was where these trout had stationed... getting the right presentation from the only available casting positions was next to impossible. I missed two takes before we were frustrated and done and ready to go just beat up bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and hybrids in one of my favorite small ponds. 



2 comments:

  1. Rowan, I don't always comment, but I tip my hat to you. If I was only a young man again and able to explore like you do. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard,
      I'm just doing what makes me happy until I can't do it anymore! Presumably that will be sooner rather than later.

      Delete