Sunday, August 14, 2016

Nocturnal Lightning and Popper Bass.

I've been fishing at Bell Pond the last few nights. Unfortunately I didn't find the big bass or walleye I was looking for, but it was still productive. Epic lightning shows occurred both nights. I spent a lot more time behind the lens than behind the rod, in part because graphite stick aren't exactly lightning repellent, but mostly because I don't get too many opportunities to do some SWEET long time exposures. Even though there wasn't to much cloud to ground or cloud to cloud lightning, there was lots of in-cloud lightning that caused the thunderheads to appear as though they were glowing internally, and there was enough that even a 4 second exposure to catch one or more flash. I chose to go with 10 seconds for optimal lighting conditions and foreground contrast. I ended up with some superb shots. Then I felt static. The hair on my arms started to stand up. I've been a severe weather freak for longer than I've been a fisherman, and I've been very near my fair share of violent CG's, and I'v felt that before. In two hours the closest CG had been over 5 miles away, and I was totally unprepared being that I was out in the open on a dam. I laid down and looked to my right, where a 20 foot birch tree then took the brunt o a massive lightning strike. Time to leave! I ran like a well hooked bonefish.









In the morning I portaged my yak up there and caught a few bass. That was fun, though still not the kind of fast and active fish catching I've been looking for. To improve my morning, a nest full of young green herons was out and about. Photographic opportunities abound on Bell Pond! 











6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the adventure. Feel I've done you a disservice, not carrying a share of that kayak.
    - G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Though I could easily carry that little yak for miles. It's not even remotely heavy.

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! That was great! Wish I was there. The lightning and Heron shots are amazing. You just never know what will happen when you go fishing.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, though for the storms I'm glad nobody was with me. I am no willing to put other's lives at risk and quite frankly that was a dangerous place to be.

      Delete