Friday, April 4, 2014

Vernal Pool Chorus

Every spring I make sure to indulge in one of my favorite activities. A visit to a vernal pool is always enjoyable. These water bodies attract all sorts of reptiles, amphibians, and insects. Therefore they also attract me. Yesterday the Wood frogs were at the height of their mating activities, and eggs were being laid. I jumped about on logs to watch the frogs' activities. They are quite barbaric; sometimes a female will die after laying eggs, but males will still come and clasp onto the lifeless body.


As the sun began to set Spring Peepers started their calls on the adjacent hills. I tried to find some but it appeared that they were calling from within the leaf litter.

                                     

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. Comforting chorus isn't it? The peep frogs are always hard to locate in the water. My best chances are to walk the lillies or other swamp-side plants, it's much easier to see them fleeing footsteps than singing. I saw some leopards last week, as well as peeps, and wood frogs. Haven't seen any green or bulls yet, although I hear a low grumble in your video. Hungry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a few days I will be able to hear them from my house. The greens aren't too active yet. Saw a very confused green frog in February, And bullfrog tadpoles are already emerging from the muck.

      Delete