Sunday, November 23, 2014

Just What the Doctor Ordered

COMFORTABLE! I fished today, and it was beautiful. The sun was shining, the water was sparkling, and the warm air brought out the mayflies and caddis. When I got on the river this is what I saw:

Yesterday in the same spot:

I got busy fishing a hairs ear soft hackle when, before the fly had time to sink, a trout came up to smack it. I landed this pretty brown after a short fight. He had me thinking I was in for a spectacular day. Seeing some rises within inches of the bank, I tied on a new fly I've created and sure enough the fish came up and sipped the big dry fly in. He was a little bigger and very well spotted. 




After that I called my father to see if he would come out to fish with me. He eventually did, and although we spent a lot of time trying to find fish even when we did we couldn't get any takers. I ended up fowl hooking a brown from atop a retaining wall at one point. I had to hoist him up and run down to release him. I spent a little while looking at aquatic larvae of assorted species before we both went our separate ways.






I ended up on a pretty little blue line that I fish every know and then. It has, for whatever reason, treated me rather poorly regardless of it's obviously fishy pockets and pools. This time, however, I was able to get a taker on the Pine Special as I retrieved it down to me. A wake appeared behind it and soon I had a wonderful native jewel in my hand.



2 comments:

  1. The weather was great and we are getting another good one today. It's nice to see streams without invasive knot weed choking the banks. ENJOY!
    Fish on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you may have but we got rain! and lots of it.
      Thank you.

      Delete