Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Pickerel and Bass Heaven

This afternoon began with pickerel in a small pond connected to a big lake. Woolly buggers got my some very nice toothy beasts. Some of you may know this already, but pickerel are a species native to Connecticut and I do plan to include them in my book somehow. They have a character about them that always makes me giddy with laughter, whether it's the big ones or the little pencils. They are fun, and they fight so so well. None of the five I caught today chewed through my line today and that is very good luck! In that pond all that needed is a good cast along the far bank and Esox niger will come out and mess up your fly.



When the pickerel tired of me I went into the main lake and nailed into some nice smallmouth. No beasts like I do get on many trips to this lake, but gorgeous none the less. 



But the best was yet to come. There is a small private pond that I happen to know the owners of, and today they were kind enough to let me fish it. For a while I fished the Black Ops and caught bedding bluegills. Then I changed to a Dahlberg Diver, got in s kayak, and went to bass heaven. It was just amazing how many fish I caught. Not all were big but they were numerous, and those that were larger gave spectacular fights. Even the smallest fish took that big fly well. It was just miraculous. 





10 comments:

  1. I didn't know pickerel were native, but I believe the chain variety are introduced, so is it the red fin pickerel that are native? I believe the red fin ones actually share habitat with brook trout in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are native to my waters, I'm not sure about your area. I have caught red fin, mostly in small streams. About five years ago, before I started fly fishing, I caught a red fin that was about 20 inches long. Probably would a record of some sort.

      Delete
  2. Pickerel are a beautiful fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun day overall... but man... that darn bluegill was gorgeous. Both in size and color. It's funny, they fight great... and if you have ever cooked up a few, they taste fantastic... yet here in the north east rarely are they considered much but junk. It's very cool to see the reverence you give them here!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pickeral and you caught some real dandes. They are always waiting to snag a meal. Great trip on the kayak. thanks for the ride.
    Tie, fish write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Pickerel are often overlooked, and they do not deserve it.

      Delete
  5. RM
    That pond looks awesome; I think you got a workout with the bass, never landed a Pickerel. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      Come up here for a week in July and I'll show you a wicked topwater pickerel bite. Then I'll come down there for some spots! ;)

      Delete