Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Bluegill Eater

I went back to the pond where I had a big bass whacking bluegills. I was using a very interesting rod, an old fiberglass thing made by Sears & Roebuck that was most likely not intended as a fly rod but works as such. I had on a stimulator. I stood on a wooden platform and cast it to an area I though some spunky bluegills should be, and sure enough one ate. I let it swim around rather than bringing it in hoping I would get to see some crazy action. Nothing happened. I dismounted from the platform and started walking to a spot to land the gill when I heard a commotion. I turned and watched the bass nail the bluegill in shallow water. Somehow in the mess the bluegill managed to get away, but it left the stimulator stuck in the lip of the big largemouth. After quite a battle I landed the hawg and got a good look at it. I know it's technically bait fishing, but I had not intended to actually hook the big girl!





4 comments:

  1. Not sure how the stimulator ended up in the largemouth's mouth, but I'm sure you're glad it did! I'm glad the "old fiberglass thing" was up to the challenge because that is quite a hog! Nice going

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show you, there is more than one way to catch those beauties. They were all a good size.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      This one could have eaten all the rest I caught that day!

      Delete