Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Home Water is Low

This dry weather we are having is putting a dent in the amount of water in our trout streams. Fortunately the smaller ones are more then cold enough to keep the trout alive.

Today was my first visit to my home water in a long time. I was hoping that even with the low water I would be able to catch some beautiful wild brown and brook trout. That was not the case. I saw plenty, most hiding under rocks, but caught exactly none. I caught some stockers and salmon parr in the deep pools downstream of my favorite stretch, as well as bluegills, sucker, fallfish and, surprisingly, largemouth....
In these low water conditions my favorite tactics include using small woolly buggers and bucktails and twitching soft hackled nymphs. An olive woolly bugger did bring out a gorgeous holdover brooky. His fins were perfect and his head was huge, but all the indicators I look for in a holdover trout were there. Muted color, actively feeding when no other wild fish were, and damaged dorsal fin.

Regardless of the water being lower than I have ever seen it here, I had a wonderful day out. The area surrounding this stream is hauntingly beautiful.











9 comments:

  1. The streams need a water infusion. Some parts of the state seem to be better than others.
    Typical for this time of year.
    Nice St. Croix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      I think the little orange toad agrees.

      Delete
  2. RM
    Absolute stunning brown!!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice catches for low water. We enjoy all the photos! Beautiful brown!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that section of stream pictured and wow does it look a lot different! We need rain over here too, but a strong thunderstorm yesterday helped a little. Did you get thunderstorms yesterday too? Not a bad brookie, but certainly a stocker. Hopefully with some rain the wild ones will cooperate again. Love the last line because that stream is hauntingly beautiful...couldn't have said it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had a good storm in a while. A few near misses, but that's it.

      Delete
  5. Great pix today, especially the "head and shouders" shots -- seems weird to apply that term to fish, but certainly describes the images.
    - G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      In fisherman's terms, a fish with 'shoulders' is a particularly fat and well fed individual.

      Delete