Monday, August 31, 2015

The Fish That Lurks in the Margins

The more I fish for Redfin Pickerel, the more I am amazed by them. They don't grow very big, but their attitude makes up for that. The first time they hit a fly, it is with rage and reckless abandon. The second time, a little less so. I have come to learn that these little predators lurking in small meadow streams are very smart. They learn quick. They are hard to approach without spooking. Their choice of habitat makes them even more difficult to catch: the like the muddy, stick and leaf filled margin water that is only 1 to 3 inches deep. That is water not inhabited by many other species of fish. It took me some time to get over that fact and actually target them where they live. But when I got things right, I was rewarded with incredibly beautiful little predators. 








7 comments:

  1. Those pickerel look like tiger muskie. They are in the same family. Beautiful little creatures.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Aside from the color the pattern is strikingly similar.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the pickerel likes your brookie fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first stream pic. Those guys sure are little, but they love your ties and must be a blast on a small rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      They call small pike and musky "hammer handles". By that logic these are pencils.

      Delete
  4. Very cool, I've never caught any pickerel, I should give it a shot! Any pointers on where to look? Warmer streams?

    ReplyDelete