Monday, August 18, 2014

Browns and a Tiger

Although the water has returned to it's original low state, I suspected that I would be able to find stream with some willing wild trout. And I did. The fishing was not spectacular, but I did get some nice ones on big dries. One particular stocker brown took the fly and then wedged itself into some debris beneath a boulder. I managed to extract him.


The Rock

The Trout
The next fish was a nymph eating wild fish. She was a little bigger than the others. The fly was a chartreuse headed caddis pupa.

The final trout of the afternoon was a very unusual one. I had to cast over a log in order to get a drift through a likely looking hold. It took a few tries to get it right. When I did there was a splashy rise. I set the hook and then flipped a roll cast over the log to allow the fish to run. When I got to the other side of the log I was surprised by the fish that I saw at the end of the line. It was a wild Tiger! The second this year too.

What fascinating little creatures they are.
 After than one in a hundred thousand catch I walked he long valley trail back to the starting point. Somewhere along the way I found this:

Thank you for sharing your forest with me, Ray. A little farther along, the undergrowth was making a light rustling sound. Upon close inspection a large colony of ants was in the process of moving to a new location. What a nice walk.




5 comments:

  1. It's true Tigers are special.
    Nice fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa man sweeeet! Wild Tiger in a dry is one of the things in my bucket list, some day. Way cool. Nice catch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The crazy thing is that I got 2 this year, in that same stretch of water. The other was a bit bigger.

      Delete
  3. Hooray ! Your second tiger -- what spectacular creatures they are ! Thanks for sharing the animals and your view of nature. G.

    ReplyDelete