Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Screwing It Up

After my carp success this morning, I hit the salt. A tidal river was the chosen locality, the target species bunker, stripers, and blues. Upon arrival some fair sized blues were seen going nuts. Every once in a while a striper boiled. I was giddy with excitement. On went a clouser to do its work. It was not long before I nailed into a nice blue. It ran towards me almost immediately. When I came tight to it again I probably should have set the hook again. But I didn't and the blue escaped with only a sore lip. That set the tone for the rest of the day. Missed hits, poorly tied knots, and one nasty tangle. I can only complain a little, I love hanging out with the fiddler crabs and diamond back terrapin.



8 comments:

  1. Was this 4 mile or Lieutenant river under 156? Ive been busy with work but lately I've abandoned the small stuff for the surf and it payed off with A striper, three blues, and two hickory shad, all on a 1/0 Chartreuse clouser (the fly everything eats hahah). Im headed back down tomorrow morning for my last time before College Move-in day. Just consider this day to be a small price paid for all those healthy natives from a few days ago... -Weight Forward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under Rt. 1 near Black Hall Outfitters. Not sure what the rivers name is.

      Delete
  2. what tide?
    shore or yak?
    were there a lot if fish? did you land any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incoming tide, from shore. There were lots of fish. the only one landed was a 6 inch snapper blue.

      Delete
  3. Tidal water is always interesting, you never know what will take your lure. Be ready for anything to strike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be anything from a big striper to an white perch.

      Delete
    2. Were you hitting harbor size blues or snappers?
      any shad?

      Delete
    3. No shad, blues were in the one to three pound range

      Delete