Tuesday, September 1, 2015

PHD's

Some trout are geniuses. Or some days they just seem like it. Their is a particular deep bend pool that I usually would have fished already by this time of year, but today I had time and remembered it. I like this pool because it is deep and cold, and often seems to be the only good spot on the entire stream. I also like it because it's flat calm surface and picky fish challenge my abilities. Today I couldn't nail them down. I had a few hopper takes, one on a soft hackle, and two on sulfur parachutes. Nothing that seemed like a good decision panned out. Ants, small emergers, and tiny nymphs that float within inches of the surface failed to take anything. Fishing is tough when the fish earn PHD's





A few other spots on a different river gave up fall fish and smallmouth, but that was nothing spectacular.

4 comments:

  1. Guess they must have been feeding before you got there. That's what I tell myself when I'm not catching anything. Those PHD's have to eat at some point.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      They were feeding while I was there, I just couldn't figure out what they were feeding on.

      Delete