Sunday, June 26, 2016

Adam's First Largemouth

I wasn't going to let Adam leave CT without catching a fish, so I took him out on the lake yesterday and showed him spots and techniques that would be likely to produce a nice bass or two. Just because I gave up fishing with conventional gear a few years ago for the pursuit of all species entirely on the fly does not mean I didn't or don't know how to catch fish on a spinning rod. When I started fly fishing I tried to carry over methods that I already new, forming new subtle techniques that lead to fish being fooled, hooked, and landed; and some of the new techniques I learned in fly fishing could be transposed into spin fishing as well. Simply put... this fly guy could still put a hurtin' on some bass using spinning gear.

The best technique during that evening turned out to be walking the dog with a Heddon Torpedo. Adam caught both black bass species, and the largemouth was actually his first ever! I couldn't be more proud.




8 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Well done RM! Helping a kid have fun with fishing is way more important than the tools used to fish. Glad you had fun... More glad Adam did :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken like a true teacher -- love how you enjoy Adam's success! Guess he got a demonstration of gentle catch and release technique, too.
    - G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      Bass are tough. Take the hook out and toss them in head first, they like the shot of water through their gills.

      Delete
  3. It's so great that the two of you got to fish together and I'm sure Adam won't forget the experience or the catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      It was fun to fish with him finally!

      Delete
  4. Your influence on those that followed you is great. So happy you gave Adam this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to influence, that is not my goal. Helping other people enjoy fishing is the goal.
      With one exception: catch and release.

      Delete