Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Night Bite

For all but a few of CT's larger trout streams the best time to catch lots of trout right now is night. This applies particularly to the larger trout, which are unwilling to eat in the light of day because of the low water. It is too risky for them to move around in plain view of predators. Because of this many fish don't eat at all until the sun sets. Ironically, that is when a lot of people leave the river. Last night the pool I chose to fish cleared out before it was even close to being dark. I found that rather funny, because about fifteen minutes after the last guy left that pool was alive with the sounds of big trout feeding. I start out every night session using a big foam Waller Waker, black and chartreuse. The second fish I caught was an 18 inch buck rainbow. Why do I fish at night? I get that question a lot. For some reason a lot of people think it is crazy. I just think it is productive and extremely exciting. 




In the daylight I hate swinging streamers for trout. But at night it is a necessity. A small muddler does the trick when swinging in the current. It caught as many fish last night as the waker.

4 comments:

  1. Fishing at night is always more exciting for more, and usually more productive too. Nice trout too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      In the summer it is very often more productive, yes. Other times of year, not so much!

      Delete
  2. Good fishing Rowan! My grandfather new that technique, but as you said, only when the water is low. They look healthy.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not only when the water is low. Night fishing works in other flows as well. It's just better to fish at night WHEN the water is low.

      Delete