Friday, June 10, 2016

Urban Jungle and Big Bluegills

Yesterday was very windy, and when it is bright yet windy I am often hesitant to go fishing. But in the evening it let up just a little so I took a short walk, carrying only my 3 wt, my camera, and a box of flies. I love catching fish and wild and beautiful places, but what I love more than that is just fishing period. So it was the urban jungle today.




Make no mistake, even in the urban jungle you can find beauty, whether it be a flower or a redbreast sunfish.




I decided to walk a little further in hopes of finding some giant bluegills. A bass was the first thing to eat my ant in this little farm pond.


The first bluegill was not exactly what I was looking for.


The second one, however, was much better. When I set the hook it took a pretty long run,peeling drag and digging hard. It took me some time to get it under control.


I snuck in one last fish for the evening, another nice bluegill around one pound, then I called it quits.

2 comments:

  1. That's the biggest gill I've ever seen!! Those fishing spots look familiar. Hope you have a great day!!!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I've seen bluegills the size of dinner plates before. This is on the low end of the large bluegill scale!

      Delete