Friday, June 10, 2016

Low Water in one Stream, Hungry Brookies in Another.

It has not been nearly wet enough here lately. But it isn't as bad as I have seen before.A few streams have taken it worse than others. The first I fished today was just horrible. It was so low I just couldn't find the fish, and the few I did find were extraordinarily frustrating. They just wouldn't eat what I was giving them. I find this is often the  case when this stream gets low, so I headed to a stream that usually has good flows regardless of weather.


On the way out I found some tracks of a doe and her fawn, and sure enough I spotted them crossing the creek down stream from me.





As I suspected the next stream was in good shape. I was thankful for that, because I didn't have too much time left. I caught a few brook trout in short order, one on a green worm and the other on a Frenchie.






8 comments:

  1. Very Nice Rowan!! Love the photos of the doe and fawn and the waterfalls and plunge pools. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, RM. Sad to see the first stream so low already. We need rain and plenty of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is not good, last years drought did some severe damage on this stream's trout population. This year could finish them off.

      Delete
  3. The water is low there, but somehow they will manage. Mom and her fawn look healthy. You did good catching those natives. Nice photos!!!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the upper part of this same stream go from a spectacular brookie stream to a vacant ditch in one year. We are doing serious damage to this planet, and even a resilient species like Salvelinus fontinalis is being pushed back further and further.

      Delete