Sunday, July 20, 2014

Articulation

I've been getting into tying big articulated streamers lately. Before I get more into this, I discovered not to long ago that the fur my dog sheds that usually ends up in the garbage is the perfect fly tying medium. So, I started grooming him and saving the underfur. I have one gallon bagful so far. I have used it in a few very productive new nymph patterns. It was just yesterday that I realized it would make a mad streamer head!

The best product of my effort so far has been this pattern: I call it Bighead.

With any luck later this year the big Brown Trout that inhabit the Farmington river will be chowing it down.

5 comments:

  1. Looks good! I've always looked at my cats and thought..."close enough to rabbit dubbing!!" Hahahaha. If you like articulated patterns look up one called the skagit minnow. It's technically a Spey pattern but tied smaller it's quite deadly in black. -weightforward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a skagit minnow in yellow. It works well for bass and pickerel.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope to see you on the water sometime! I fished "your favorite trout stream" today and along with inumerable salmon parr i got one little brown on a foam beetle and a nice Brookie at the brige pool on a caddis pupae. They're quite picky in this low water... Let's push to have this made a class one WTMA!! -weightforward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I did too but a healthy distance upstream. Got two wild browns and a stocker, along with chubs and parr.

      Delete