Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Return to The Bronze Backs

I went back to the river my father and I fished Sunday. It was in mid-afternoon, so I wasn't expecting to much interest from the big 18-20 inch fish, but I was looking forward to landing some Green Sunfish and Smallmouth on dries and poppers. That was exactly what happened.

I spent a little while with an Ausable bomber, and it got me a couple Smallmouth and Sunfish. I wanted to gradually use bigger flies, but saw a big rise for a bee and switched to a stimulator. It was refused by a good 17 inch bass, and then taken by his offspring



The next change was to a popper, which produced some more smallmouth. Just before leaving I heard a plop behind me, and something with grass attached swam parallel to the bank. Upon investigation I found it to be a painted turtle, and decided to catch it. It hissed a lot, and was covered in leeches. I removed the parasites and set the agitated reptile down. It gave one last his before quickly swimming off. 




FLOPPED FISH PICS





9 comments:

  1. I talked with a gentleman I met at the DEP eastern offices yesterday about D******** creek and he told me flat out that it can't be made into a class 1 Wild trout stream because it's a salmon stream. The hooking mortality rate on the salmon parr is high, and the state wants to keep it hush hush to draw less attention and lower fishing pressure. I guess it makes sense..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. That is logical. I just wish they would stop stocking trout in it!

      Delete
    2. Here's what I don't get...why stock trout over a healthy population of wild trout? Even more baffling, why stock trout in a "salmon stream?" It's not like that creek is one of the major fishing destinations in the state (like the river it flows into).

      Delete
    3. The big trout EAT the stocked salmon par. Especially ones like the big broodstock I got in there today.

      Delete
  2. Looking at that turtle pic, you should fish some leech's in there! Looks like a fun trip!
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yah, there are tons in there. I just left that box home.

      Delete
  3. Nice catch for mid-day. They all take the opportunity to eat your beatiful bugs. Hope you are feeling better.
    Fish on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy and healthy, both the fish and me.

      Delete