Monday, December 22, 2014

I Miss Them!

One thing I miss most of all about the warmer days, something I haven't missed in years before this:
Cyprinus carpio, Common Carp.

It is true!
Why be upset about a goofy common mans fish when I could be out catching trout?
They are just fun! They are challenging to hook, they fight like a truck, and they have their own sort of beauty. I know for some carp are just not their cup of tea. And that is O.K. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And perhaps there is something very wrong with those of us who chase the big one on a fly rod. It just seems like a bad idea until you try it. Heck, it still feels like a bad Idea. I've lost close to one hundred dollars worth of gear during fights with big carp: line (and I mean a whole damn fly line worth over $40), countless flies, leaders by the dozens, and even my first spinning rod.

But I just love catching them, or rather trying to catch them,
so here's to carp!


I'll meet you next year my scaly golden friends!

6 comments:

  1. Carp are a challenge and do provide a good fight. They give us the chance to see how good our equipment is and if we have the talent to land them without giving up line, flies and a broken rod. I love them...
    Thanks for the pics.
    Fish on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thought process and the way you convey them. Although, I have to admit from the pictures and the size of those Carp, they may have caught you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I beat them fair and square, and they gained a little from it too. They will be harder to get next time.

      Delete
  3. I am with you, I miss carp dearly in the colder months. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With luck next year will be filled with big pond cows that peel drag and are willing to take.

      Delete