Friday, December 26, 2014

Stone Flies and Brook Trout

Today felt like a good day for Brook Trout and dry flies. So I went out into the woods. I hiked a mile before coming to a power line. There I followed the paths left by deer, which were lined with princess pines, moss, and lichen. 
 Then I got to the stream. Stoneflies were going, but I didn't see rises so I tied on a prince nymph. I didn't do well. I caught one fish, and it was the same deformed one I caught last time I fished this spot.

 And so I went elsewhere. When I got there there were risers. I fiddled with a few dries before I found a parachute adams to be the sweet spot. I caught a ridiculous amount of fish on that fly.








A few also like the bomber.
Then I got to a plunge pool. I took one fish with a skated bomber. I wasn't getting more takes. This seemed like a multi fish spot. So I changed to a bucktail. First swing a good fish took and I missed. It wouldn't come back. I changed to a worm pattern. A few drifts sealed the deal, and I landed a stunning char.




Woo hoo! Look at those colors! A marvelous creature. One of the prettiest of the year. 

2 comments:

  1. I was out fishing your home water today. They were liking the bead head chenille worm I tied. Anyways that wasn't your bike on the side of 16 I saw driving home, was it? -weightforward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably was my bike. Glad you caught some. Good to hear from you again!

      Delete