Monday, February 19, 2018

Out of the Wood and Cuts

Woody debris is a vital part of naturally reproducing trout populations. All of them. Sea run, landlocked, native brook trout, brown trout, rainbow, cutthrout, gila, golden. Organic debris falls in streams, collects in spots, diverts currants, and creates pools. Undercut banks are just as important to wild trout, and are oftentimes the result of large woody debris pushing the current into a steep bank that has solid root systems supporting it. On Saturday I fished a small lowland wild trout stream where those structures really do provide the only in-stream shelter for the resident browns and brookies. The bottom is sand, clay, and pea gravel. There aren't many big rocks and there isn't but 50 feet of pocket water in the whole stream. If it wasn't for woody debris these fish wouldn't survive.


Because the stream bed is light colored and also mostly shallow these fish don't just hide in the wood and undercuts when danger shows itself, they are nearly all buried in the cover all the time. Because of this they have a very unique habit of feeding that results in absolutely jarring strikes. They really on their sight and lateral line to detect food drifting outside their shelters, and dart out as much as two feet, grab their snack, and dart right back to cover. What you get when this happens to your wetfly or nymph is a startlingly strong yank. The hook setting is done by the fish, if you pull back you will find yourself stuck on a branch. It is not easy fishing, but this particular stream, in my opinion, has the prettiest brown trout you could ever catch. 





At about the 3/4 distance between where I started and where I planned to end I came upon a log jam like may others. I approached it from downstream, crawled through it, and dapped my Walt's Worm in front of the best looking part. Flash, pull, set. A very large fish came out of the wood and hammered the fly. I immediately saw that is was way bigger than most fish in the stream, well in excess of a foot long. The second thing I noticed was that it's fins looked like a brook trout's. Then I saw the markings and greenish tint on it's side. And then it was gone. Like that, the biggest wild tiger I've ever seen was on and then off, my fly buried deep in the wood. I kept going all the way to the dam from which the stream emanates, catching a few browns and panfish. But after that tiger my focus was lost and I blew through more water than I should have. Focus is everything.



4 comments:

  1. Sorry you missed that Tiger. You did get some nice fish from a good looking stream.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wild browns in that stream. Sorry the tiger got off, but you know where it lives and I bet you will connect with it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fish in a small stream can move a lot in two weeks, and it'll be at least that until I return. Not that I mind, fish come off sometimes.

      Delete