Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Great Hill Pond

Dalton and I have once again been hitting the warm water in kayaks. This morning we went to Great Hill Pond, a smaller clear water body holding Large and Smallmouth, Crappy, Bluegill, Yellow Perch and Pickerel. During the calm of the morning I cast a popper fly  and caught some nice Bass and Bluegill on that popper. Then the wind picked up. I lost one pickerel on a streamer then decided to give up flies. White caps were forming and I picked up the spinning rod and tied on a rapala.


Trolling that rapala I started to catch plenty of fish. Dalton was using a spinner bait and boated a 2 pound Largemouth and a 20 in Pickerel, along with some smaller fish. I ended up with 26 fish, Dalton with nine. Considering how much the conditions had deteriorated we did fairly well.









2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic day on the water. I have always wanted to catch a Pickerel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Pickerel are easy as long as you find water where they live. Use bass flies, particularly surface ones and very flashy clouser type flies. A fairly aggressive retrieve with minimal pauses often works better then a slow one.

      Delete