Saturday, February 11, 2017

PTHW Ep. 4: There is No Such Thing as a Snow Day

If you are really, really into fly fishing, there is nothing to stop you from being on the water when the weather is survivable an you are in good health. Not even a foot of snow. The hike into my home river is more than two miles and I do it on my bike in 10 minutes, but I have spent multiple hours getting there and back in two feet of snow before. If there is open water, I will get to it, and I will fish it! Today, Rik and I fished my PTHW in gorgeous, clean, deep snow! It has been a while since I last fished in these sort of conditions, and it is a lot of fun.


So here's the gist on the conditions: air temperatures were in the low forties, water was probably right at 32 since we were getting ice in the guides (happens occasionally when the air is well over freezing but the water is exactly 32), midges were hatching. No risers. 

BUT... here's my fish for the day:

This was winter fishing at its finest. The surroudings were stunning, the water was so cold it hurt, and the fishing was slow. This is what winter fishing is supposed to be like. And it is also why I love this time of year.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, quiet peace on the water. A good snow for the environment.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a good job with my photography then. This is all urban water. Not quiet, not peaceful, not healthy smelling either...

      Delete
  2. The snow somehow makes such a gorgeous, peaceful,winter scene! Beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, it certainly brightens up the scene.

      Delete