Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Bomber Takes December

We started December with a couple really warm days, and I knew looking at the weather forecast that it would be smart to knock out y monthly dry fly fish early. I could very well be ice fishing by the end of the week. I spent some stream time on Monday, and I must admit the choices made were not ideal. I spent way to much time looking for some high water big browns, which was just a total failure. I caught more ugly stocked rainbows than I did small wild browns. No good. But I managed to peel myself away from the brown trout water to look for a brookie on the dry.


I put all my hope in the good old Ausable Bomber. If I were to fish one dry fly on small streams for the rest of my life, that would be it. And just in time it came through. When the fish need a wake-up call, I twitch the bomber at the end of the drift, and sure enough that's what sealed the deal this time. 


I knocked of December nice and early, that's good. It takes the stress off, because I will be in a state with essentially no trout for more than a week at the end of the month. Now I can focus on other thing. Bigger brookies, big browns, and ice fishing (hopefully). I do love winter. 

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! 
Thanks for joining the adventure, and tight lines.

8 comments:

  1. The Ausable Bomber sure is a celebrated pattern among bloggers. At least the ones that I read. Alan sent me a small qty of special orange/brown dubbing from Fran B's shop. I tied up a half dz bombers, the other night. Should get me started next Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big part of that is that we all fish together and read each other's blogs...
      the rest is that fly simply being one of the best.

      Delete
    2. I've never tried it.
      My go to is my little black fly with a red head sized 8 thru 18. Lite brute black and red threads too simple. Works every presentation. Or not. But often good.

      Delete
    3. Do yourself a favor and get your hands on some bombers. They a brook trout fooling masterpiece from the mind of the late great Fran Betters.

      Delete
  2. I love the Bomber and a nice trout. A state without trout?????
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida. They stock rainbows in a couple places in far North FL in the winter, but I am the last person that would ever want to fish for them.

      Delete