Friday, March 20, 2020

Devlin Blends and Captain Ian Devlin Charters

Because the Covid19 outbreak is hitting the economy hard and those who stand to lose the most financially are small business owners, I find it pertinent to use this space to promote my friends in the fishing industry. I very rarely use this blog as a platform to try to sell anything, but with trade shows getting cancelled and the economy absolutely tanking, I want to help my fishing friends out in any way I can and this is the best I can do. If we're at all friendly, have chatted on occasion, and you are small business owner who is worried about how things will turn out with this pandemic, please get in touch and let me know what I can do to help.

My friend Ian Devlin makes some of the best flash blends I've had the pleasure to tie with. My largest ever snook and biggest striped bass were both caught on flies that use Devlin Blends, and I am certain that the flash blends made a difference in the performance of those flies. Ian's yak hair and slinky blends certainly make it easier to tie really big flies. He makes these by hand, and they are basically descended from flash blends Dave Skok was making.


If you are planning to spend some of your quarantine time tying large baitfish imitating patterns for big brown trout, pike and musky, striped bass, largemouth bass, sharks, tuna, taimen, wahoo, baramundi, snook, you name it... get yourself some Devlin Blends.








If tying big flies is too intimidating for you but you're looking to try fishing something large for herring, shad, and bunker eating stripers this season, Ian also ties and sells some excellent imitations of these baitfish with his blends. Ian can be found through Devlin Blends and Captain Ian Devlin's Charters.
Ian is still booking trips now for fly and light tackle striped bass fishing in western Long Island Sound. I'd certainly especially recommend booking a trip with Ian after things settle down. Ian is one of my favorite people to fish with. His knowledge base and teaching ability are exceptional. He knows his water, he knows casting, he knows how fish operate. He's also extremely knowledgeable of birds if you have any interest in that. If you want to catch fish and learn a lot while doing so, Ian has got that covered. And his custom Lake & Bay is a great skiff to ride and fish from. Give him a call and book a trip. Buy some flash blends. Definitely do what you can to help your local businesses through this situation.

Until next time,
Stay safe and healthy.

Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon.

*photos in this post are courtesy Ian Scott Devlin unless watermarked. 

2 comments:

  1. Good promo. What is that monster you are holding?
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://flyfishingcts.blogspot.com/2019/06/convergence-my-40-inch-striper-on-fly.html

      Delete