Monday, October 31, 2022

Stellar False Albacore Fly Fishing

 This year the tunny came in with a bang. Eastern CT saw a fantastic early showing, with fish available from shore in good numbers for a couple weeks steady. They were also showing in various locations, which I like a lot. Tunny draw a crowd of eccentrics, many of which are people I do enjoy standing next to on the rocks. It's an almost integral part of the fishery; all the familiar faces. I do enjoy that aspect, but I also enjoy solitude, or sometimes just one on one time with a friend. The widespread nature of that initial push of little tunny made it easier to pick and choose which experience I wanted to have and that was nice. It also meant I could try to catch some from places I'd not had the opportunity to in lower abundance years, and I'd often rather catch one somewhere new than five somewhere I've caught them before. 

I found myself standing on a familiar rock one day during that early season action, one I'd had shot at tunny from, hooked one once even, but I'd never caught one there before. Last year I'd made a beautiful cast into a breaking school and one ate my fly, peeled off on a run, then threw the hook. It was a disappointment in a season of disappointments. I stood on that same rock feeling a lot more at ease than I ever was during the previous season. Confidence plays a huge roll in this game, and knowing you can catch if you are patient, persistent, and most importantly relaxed can make or break a day- or, as it turns out, a whole season -of fishing for albies. This season I'd committed to fishing for them less, staying closer to home more, and just being satisfied with whatever was going to happen. It was a recipe for better success. This it just felt like it was going to happen. I had on a floating line. Most anglers fly casting for little tunny elect to fish lines that sink to some degree or another. Intermediates, sink tips, and full sinks are common fair. I've always liked floating lines. Though one argument, that thinner full sinking liens cut through the wind, is perfectly valid, I have not problem punching casts into wind if I have to regardless of the line I choose. I also like explosive surface strikes, and having my fly at or near the surface not only allows me to see that happen but also shows me whether fish are refusing my fly, building my confidence or allowing me to make changes in my presentation. last year I didn't fish the floater much. Ironically, when I did I caught fish. 

Adding to my ability to enjoy the day, I had paired a floating fly with my floating line. The Gartside Gurgler has been one of my favorite flies for the species. The skittering action of the gurgler draws explosive takes, even when more typical subsurface presentations are spurned. On this sunny early season day the floating line and gurgler combination would prove deadly. 

The tide window at this spot often presented a short window of opportunity, so I knew I wouldn't be there all day. It was beautiful though, and when the tunny came around I'd have a spectacular view. Initially the fish weren't playing within range, though that's not unusual. Gradually they drew nearer. I stayed patient, waiting through short lulls, and soon they were at my feet. The first good shot drew a strike, thought the fly came out of the fish's mouth a moment later. Back in hand I felt that the hook point wasn't quite as sharp as it should be. A few strokes on the file and it was back to fishing. The next break of fish came in over shallow sand and I landed the gurgler right in them. The great cast was rewarded with a spectacular eat and the first tunny of the year was on. 

I confess, though the initial run of a tunny is a spectacular thing, fighting these fish is a little dull to me. It lacks some of the challenges presented by other fish. If you can clear your line quickly and steer the fish well, which is particularly easy with a long rod, you are likely to land the fish. If you lose the fish in structure, it's not because that fish tried to get the line through said structure, it's merely because you put yourself in a situation where the structure is likely to end up between you and the fish anyway. I'd rather fight a fish that is headed for structure knowing that it can use it to free itself, or that is can find safe refuge. That's much more interesting. Subsequently, it's the fights where something goes wrong that actually get me excited when I'm hooked into a little tunny. That's exactly what happened this time. A tangle caught up at the end of the rod and the tip pulled off. I had to navigate that issue with a very strong fish still on the end of my line... now that was a challenge. I managed to deal with the issue and land the fish. What a good feeling that was. My first tunny in a new spot landed the hard way.



That was the beginning of an excellent streak. After the tide slacked out there, I made a moved to a reliable location. There, the wind was throwing a good chop. It was the ideal setup for fired up tunny. Indeed they were chewing, and I intercepted the procession of fish repeatedly that afternoon. The gurgler remained the ideal fly, and the takes were visually spectacular. 





That will likely end up being my favorite day of the season, even if I have another great numbers day. Everything felt like it went the way I wanted it to that way. If there was a hicup, like the tangle on the first fish, I navigated it successfully. The fish were numerous and willing. The conditions were comfortable and conducive to good bites. I caught in more than one location and even in a new location. It was ideal. The frustrations I'd had with this fish over the prior year melted away and I was able to enjoy the albie high. They are quite magnificent fish. That the opportunity to catch these small tunas comes within the sights of those who would as soon stand on rocks or sand than the deck of a boat is a minor miracle. Though I don't obsess over them like I do large striped bass, carp, or pursuing new species, chasing tunny is an integral part of the fall season. 


I'm still hopeful for one last blast in November. I've caught November tunny before, but it has been quite a few years. It would be nice to bookend this season with a large one. 

Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Franky, Geof, Luke, Noah, Justin, Sean, Tom, Mark, Jake, and Chris for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

No comments:

Post a Comment