Monday, October 28, 2013

Stalking Fish and Flies

On Saturday I went out and fished a small stream. I didn't catch anything, and lost 1 decent fish, but I still had a good time. I spent most of the trip watching the stream's wild residents in their spawning activities. I even saw some male brookies with female brown trout on redds! Wild tigers could turn up here soon! I also spent a while observing natural flies: mayfly, stone fly, and caddis nymphs. There were plenty to see, and if you have never bothered looking at what lives in your stream, go do it, you can learn a lot.


Stenonema mayfly nymph.

A free living caddis larva.

Isonychia nymph

Some sort of predatory stonefly, nymph probably from the family Perlidea.

Caddis cases

Couldn't tell but I think it was another Stenomema.

No comments:

Post a Comment