Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Night and Day

The rain we got last night brought the flows up. I checked the USGS waterdata tables. Perfect. I packed a box of wets and a box of nymphs and streamers and hit the small stream, the same one that had given me a hard time on Monday. It was a bit discolored, but that never hurts. I got busy catching trout and salmon par. Unfortunately every year it seams I catch more stocked trout here. I tried to convince the DEEP that there was a thriving population of wild fish, but to no avail. This stream, if no other, deserves to be a Class 1 Wild Trout Management Stream. Oh well. I had fair success short-line nymphing with a hairs ear. By the end of the day it was no more then lead wire and some light cahill colored thread, but at least the par were still eating it.






8 comments:

  1. If this is the stream I think it is... With the bridge pool with the nice shale drip just upstream, I've tried the same. The DEEP officer in that area is a personal friend and fishing buddy of mine(Larry) and he did not even believe me when I told him of the wild browns and occasional brookie that inhabit those waters. He actually told be it was "a waste to fish" since it doesn't hold fish very long after he "stocks" them. Oh well.. We can manage that stream ourselves it guess. It breaks my heart to find powerbait jars on the bank...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the same stream. Luckily not many venture far upstream from there. It is a whole different animal there.

      Delete
  2. I'm going tonight after work around 4:30. Feel free to meet me but don't forget to crush your barbs!! Haha -weightforward p.s. Enjoy the vid https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXd_C5fNWVo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice catch in beautiful water. Thats all that counts. Wish I were there...
    Fish on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could have gone better... It was like attack of the salmon parr. They seemed to be racing eachother to my fly and I even had one jump clean out of the water for a rusty spinner. I did get one nice brown though on a yellow humpey. And Ofcourse.. The sunnies at the bridge pool.. Haha. See you on the river -weightforward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love 'um. Crazy little Kamikaze fish...

      Delete