Tuesday, March 31, 2015

CARP TIME!!!!

IT IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to my local carp hot spot today hoping just to check the retreat of the ice, and maybe catch some perch. I brought a box of carp flies with very little hope that I would actually use them for that species. When I got to the pond though it looked like this:


Now that is a beautiful sight! And an even more beautiful sight greeted me on the mudflats:


Those are carp. Probably ten fish made up this school, and I was not even sure they were fish until I watched one follow my fly out of the group and suck it in. He immediately spat it back out. Although I had one more shot that resulted in a take today was just not the day for it. It was easy sight fishing but the clouds and temperature meant the fish weren't feeding aggressively and the wind and casting distance did not make accurate presentations easy. That being said I know exactly what I'll be doing the rest of the week! If I am lucky I'll be holding a big poor man's bonefish in front of the camera before Sunday. 

10 comments:

  1. Truly awesome! I hear carp are good fightin' fish and super spooky. So many folks have turned on to them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is all true. They deserve the attention.

      Delete
  2. Cool!!! I love to sight fish for the "poor man's bonefish"...truly exciting. Look'n forward to hearing about the pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they'll be coming up pretty often while the weather's good.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your carp ventures! You have great eyesight as those carp look like little logs or weeds to me. What weight rod do you use for carp...6? Also, from yesterday good luck on your continued hunt for a beaver pond with brookies. I have been wanting to find one of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a home made 6 last year, but that broke. So this year I sized up to an 8. Same rod I'll be using in the salt.
      New Hampshire is the only place I have encountered BP brookies, hopefully I will see those same fish this year.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! Too bad you weren't able to hook up, but like you said, once the condiitons are right, you're fixing to have a good time carpin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, they are there and I have no doubt you will hook a few. Nice to see NO SNOW OR ICE.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's still some. But I'm sure it'll be gone soon. Thanks.

      Delete