Friday, April 17, 2015

Two Warm Water Days

Yesterday:
Not all that extraordinary. Small bass, pumpkinseed, bluegill, and crappie were caught on various flies. Fun but very typical.





Today:
It was different. I tied on a little Clouser Minnow and started working it through the weeds. The amount of little bass I took was just ridiculous. But then I got something bigger to take:


After that first good bass of the season, I moved on to catch some slab crappies on the same fly. They don't fight very well, but they are beautiful and the takes are very cool to watch. 



After that I set out to find a way to get bullheads to take the fly. I came to a conclusion that it would be nearly impossible to get one without seeing it if there was no sent or taste appeal to my fly, so I stuck a small red worm on the point of the Clouser, just like a trailer for a jig. I then cast out and slowly dragged the fly along the bottom. It worked! So what I had to use a worm on the fly. No doubt it was not up to the worm alone, the flash and movement of the streamer played a part in fooling the catfish. The little fragment of worm just sealed the deal. Those fish were a heck of a lot of fun on the 3 weight. 





2 comments: