Friday, September 22, 2017

Cape Cod & RI Pt. 4: Surf Kingfish and Buzzards Bay Bass

After giving up on our super frustrating striper spot Sunday morning Noah and I went to a beech that Aaron Jasper suggested I try for albies. I think we got there a hair late, a lot of the surf casting anglers and kayakers were on their was out. After a little while not getting an albie action and seeing just one spanish mackeral launch, I noticed that there was a ton of life just in the surf line. Peanut bunker, silversides, and bay anchovies were prevalent, but what interested us most were packs of larger butter fish which looked almost like small pompano, and tons and tons of hunting Northern kingfish.



I knew when the kingfish started attacking my 3 inch long clouser that getting some of them would be pretty easy. It was.




I gotta say, as small as these fish were, they were really fun to target. It was so cool to catch fish like that in the white water of 1ft breakers, it was like micro bucktailing for surf stripers.

We unfortunately couldn't get any of the butterfish. After a little while we made the move to try and get some stripers before leaving the Cape. We went to Buzzards Bay and found a pretty sweet looking spot on a big sand bar. And, after some patience I finally got my Cape Cod stripers. Blitzing fish came over the sandbar periodically and getting them to eat a chartreuse and pink deceiver was easy.





No, those fish aren't big. Not exactly what you go to the Cape for. But I was content in knowing that our mission had not been a complete failure, as it had been pretty close. We left Buzzards bay and made our way west, back home to Connecticut, wanting even more to figure out Cape Cod.

6 comments:

  1. Fish are fish, I hope you stopped at Leo's in Buzzards Bay for the best blueberry muffins south of Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Scandinavian fly fisher and jazz musician I admire and follow once said, "I'm a simple man. Catching fish, makes me happy. Scaringly simple."

      Damn, I completely forgot about Leo's! Next time, I certainly won't.

      Delete
  2. "to figure it out."
    I've noticed that each place has something that needs attention from the figuring part. It's all fun!
    Anticipation.
    Expectations.
    Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather, time of day and the fish. One never knows what will happen, but I would say you guys did OK. Just being in that special place with a line in the water would satisfy me.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, for a place we don't yet 'know' it's hard to complain. But we were a late for the bite at every stop we made, based on what I heard and saw from other anglers who were out. Oops.

      Delete