Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Looking For a Small Sunfish


If you asked me if eight years ago if I would want to spend a whole outing trying to find an obscure sunfish species that rarely attains even four inches in length in a skunky small stream, I almost certainly would have said no. And yet that's how I spent this afternoon. Fishing tiny flies, looking for a tiny sunfish species that may literally NEVER have been caught on the fly. Ever. In the history of angling. I've only seen a handful of photos of  these sunfish that have been caught on bait. What am I on about? Banded sunfish. They are a very small, very hard to locate, very hard to catch species of sunfish native to the east coast and only in a certain proximity to the coast line. They are a very unique little fish and I can not wait to catch one. Today was not my day. It was a veritable who's who of stream residents, but I could not add anything new to my life list.








After covering as much of that stream as is legally allowed and some that probably isn't, and catching a stupid number of two inch bluegills, I had to add something to some list, so I decided to fish a stream I knew had brook trout but hadn't fished. I doubt I'll ever come back it's not a very fun stream and I doubt it holds anything more than a few inches long. Not that that's an issue, but this was an ugly stream and not worth the effort. It's so not worth visiting  would post the name if it wouldn't put the other spots I fished today at risk of being found as well.


^That muddy ditch is on the list of streams put out by Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture as being suitable wild trout habitat and containing native brookies. The stream below, not on that list. Look what I caught there!




What a gem from a stream that isn't supposed to have fish like that! According to some groups, that is.

9 comments:

  1. That's a good story. And strangely in sync with my fishing on Saturday. See my blog--I caught some ridiculous little bluegills too.

    What lure did you use on that brook trout? It looks pink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that would be he tip of my finger you are seeing behind that char's mouth... the fly I fooled it with is one of my own successful patterns, Lytle's Crazy Shrimp. Though you can't see any of it in this photo, it does have a pink tag.

      Delete
    2. Haha that is hilarious! I love it--your pinky--and the crazy shrimp.
      Today, I caught a chunky bass in a pond--on a saltwater plastic.
      I like shrimp, too--will have to try yours :-)

      Delete
  2. Yep, not all streams are created equal. Nice trout and those other little guys are great. Keep up your search.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the "gios" comment and your response, it occurred to me that with your ability you could probably successfully catch a fish just with your pinky. :)
    It's a measure of your respect for nature that you enjoy the beauty of both large and small species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but that is most certainly not the case.

      Delete