Friday, April 20, 2018

High Water Brook Trout Streamer Bite

I have an hour to fish. The stream is one I'd fished before but only once. The water is high and stained but not muddy. The sky is cloudy, wind is negligible, and rain is sporadic and light. Air temperature is 42 degrees, water is 42 degrees, and aside from a few stray midges there is very little hatch activity. This water only contains wild trout, no stocked fish, and some attain sizes of 14-16 inches, 7 inches being average. Macro-invertebrates, the typical stuff, nothing really unusual or special with behavioral drift minimal in the high, cold water. Most notable baitfish, dace and slimy sculpins. 

How would you play these conditions? 


I think most fly fisherman would fish nymphs deep in a stream of this size with these conditions. And it wouldn't be a bad decision. But here's what I did:

I fished two flies for half an hour each, a size 6 Olive Woolly Bugger and a size 8 Sirloin (Rich Garfield's other killer fly), downstream, with enough weight in the form of bead, wire, and added splitshot to let me hang them in the current without them floating up to the surface. The result was unexpected. Not the catching of fish, but specifically what fish I caught and how aggressive they were. In that short window I had to fish this water I caught 12 wild trout, and only one was a brown.I missed 4 or 5 others and lost a very large fish that was almost certainly of the trutta variety. Catching brook trout in this water was an expectation, but catching brook trout almost exclusively was a turn of events I hadn't foreseen. I sure as hell appreciated it though!








Remember, streamers aren't just for big water, and when flows are increased baitfish get displaced. It is not at all uncommon for brook and brown trout to eat their own kind either in these small systems. So don't shy away from flies push water and have a lot of built in movement when fishing a small stream under high water conditions.


6 comments:

  1. That was a great hour of fishing. Thanks for the tips to get a hookup.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual your reasoning is correct and a good lesson for others. One question though, considering the subject of this day's blog, why the photo of rolling fields at the end? I like the photo a lot, but was just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because that's what I saw when I crested the ridge leaving the stream. It's there for the same reason any landscape photo is in any of my posts, lending context.

      Delete
  3. Also don’t forget that pausing flies like that in the current mimics the action of how a sculpin moves up or down in the riffles or current... I bet that has a lot to do with the results :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, probably not, because hanging the fly kept it from dropping within a foot of the bottom, and sculpins rarely ever rise above 6 inches from the bottom. In this case it's a better imitation of dace and juvenile trout which are being displaced by the increasing flow and are resting between dropping down trying to find new holding water. The presentation that would best imitate a sculpin is a bottom bouncing drift, because sculpins drop down into the substrate between short spurts of speed.

      Delete