Wednesday, April 11, 2018

2 Days

I really don't hold opening day of trout season to much of a high regard. Really, I look down on much that it represents with a bit of disdain, because it exemplifies most of what I hate about trout management in the Northeast. But for many it holds good memories, time with family and friends, maybe some of their earliest days on the water, and I respect that immensely.

For me, the biggest reason to celebrate opening day... I can finally trout fish wherever I damn well please again! It's been a long month and a half, and the little brook trout streams down the road and most importantly, my home river, are calling my name! This cold weather pattern has pushed back the blue quill (Paraleps) hatch here, which means I get to fish it on my home stream instead of travelling to TMA's where the hatch isn't as good and the surroundings not as familiar. It'll feel nice to be able to walk down the street again and catch a few small native brook trout on dry flies. Spring, you've hidden from me long enough! I see you now!



My dad and I will be on the water Saturday, rest assured it will be someplace far from the crowds where wild trout reign supreme.

4 comments:

  1. SPRING? I haven't felt it yet, but I'm sure looking forward to a 70 degree day on a stream that doesn't have any footprints. Hope you and dad have a great day on the water.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt it back in February, then it decided to take a vacation.

      Delete
  2. Rowan I to am very excited about opening day for us little stream guys.
    Good luck out there Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you Alan! May the wild brook trout be plentiful!

      Delete