Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Little Bit of Stream Time

I got in a little bit of stream time yesterday, which was a good idea because I'll be in Central PA tomorrow afternoon to start out a two night outing on Spring Creek and maybe some other area waters. I find it is always a good idea to warm up my trout fishing muscles before going on a trout trip.

We've been getting plenty of rain, but a lot of it from thunderstorms, so not cold rain. But then we had a couple colder nights and cooler days. So I payed my home river a visit. The water temperature when I got there wasn't great at 68 degrees. I opted to catch just one wild brown and then leave there. I put on a beadhead muddler variation and 4x. I fished up one bend, caught a stocker rainbow right at the beginning, got the brown right around the corner, and packed up.



Instead of quitting altogether I went to a stream where I could adequately exercise my nymphing muscles. Smallmouth and fallfish are plenty happy in warm water. Unfortunately they made me work pretty hard. With the water fairly high all summer is seems the larger bass haven't pushed into that water, and may not at all given it is mid August. 






I caught a few tiny bass and not even one fallfish, but felt pretty comfortable with how I was fishing. We'll see how Spring Creek treats me. As with February, it is going to be a high water situation. Better than low and warm for sure. 

5 comments:

  1. That's the Pa. trout water President Jimmy Carter enjoyed! Have fun and bring us some good fishing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy Carter enjoyed a lot more PA waters than just Spring Creek.

      Delete
    2. Jimmy Carter is a fly fisherman? Never knew that!

      Delete
  2. Rowan, I will forever wish that we had somehow met when I was younger. I envy your spirit and love of fishing. Hope PA was good to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard.
      I'll get to Colorado one of these days. Whether we fish or not, meet up.

      Delete