Monday, February 25, 2019

Big Trout Frustrations

For three winters now I have been fishing the same small CT river looking for one of the handful of quite large wild brown trout that inhabit it. It has been an exercise in patience, exhaustion, and learning. I can say quite comfortably that I still barely know anything about this stream and it's strange, seemingly indestructible trout. There aren't a ton of them, especially not the really big ones. The water gets unacceptably warm every summer, yet the trout persist. Their are large amounts of pollution sources throughout the watershed. There is drug paraphernalia all over the damn place. Which will I catch first, my 28 inch brown or hepatitis? Nymphing. Doesn't. Work. At least not any conventional style of nymphing. I've never seen a substantial wild trout rise there. But one cold February day I encountered a pool full of rising juvenile trout... after sunset. Last December I hooked and lost a quite large trout... at night, with temperatures below freezing. I've never seen a mayfly hatch, but the nymphs are there.

This stream is so strange and so frustrating, and that's why I fish it as much as I do. I am FAR more likely to skunk out there than I am to catch even a 14 inch wild fish. Because of that, it holds my attention. I'm not looking for a sure thing anymore, I'm looking to catch the rarest fish in the river. And this stream's 22-28 inch brown trout, of which there must be less than 10 in 10 miles, fit the bill. They are a challenge worthy of my time, though it may well take me another 3 winters to get one of those fish.

I almost had one on Saturday. It was a near perfect day, with increasing cloudiness, pre-frontal conditions, above freezing, and a moderate flow. I even forgot to stick my memory card back in my camera and so only had my phone (I hate phone photography)... that is almost a guarantee that something spectacular is going to happen. I got so close. I had missed a few smaller fish spread throughout the just over two miles of river I had covered already when I came to a spot I had missed a 27-28 inch fish in last winter. In the very same spot, I came tight to a fish of the caliber I was hunting, a hen brown I'd estimate at 24 inches conservatively. It was a very heavy fish. It started out just head shaking, but coming up to the surface it started to alternate between death rolling and flailing violently. For 20 seconds it did this and I failed to gain control of it at all. The thrashing and rolling had exactly the effect the fish was going for: it wrenched that sharp thing out of its jaw and stopped that pulling force. That moment was gut wrenching. I felt like throwing up. My hands were shaking. I had been dealt yet another serious blow by this river, one of many. I kept fishing, hard and focused, but knowing full well I wouldn't get another chance. Not at a fish like that. And when I hooked a long, lean, acrobatic brown of 19 inches, it was all fine and dandy, but it didn't fill the hole I needed it too. I'm looking for one fish. One incredibly rare, smart, old fish. I almost had it, and this wasn't it. It ties place with another fish for the biggest I've caught in this river, but it was hard to feel like that fact carried much weight when the fish I had lost very literally carried a few pounds more.


If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! 

15 comments:

  1. You got that right, that stream is very peculiar and that's what keeps us fishing it. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it wouldn't be nearly as fun if it were both mediocre AND predictable!

      Delete
  2. Awesome sounding take and initial struggle. A good way to keep the motivation going strong! Beauty you caught after too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I found it pretty uninspiring, certainly given the tendency towards going airborne and running hard that the wild browns here typically show. I'd far rather it have done the norm... I probably would have caught it in that case.

      Delete
  3. Yep, it's worth your effort. Their survival is amazing. Sorry you missed the big one, but that's what keeps you coming back.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd still be coming back if I'd already caught that fish and even every other big trout I've missed or lost in there, because there'd still be a lot to learn.

      Delete
  4. Your river description and experience reminds me so much of my home river and the sick feeling I felt when I lost the big brown in the saltwater section back in 2013.
    We share an appreciation for similar water and the trout that reside there.
    I’m sure you saw the similarities when I showed you around my home river a few months back.
    Enjoy the quest my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't dissimilar waters, for sure. And that's a big part of what attracts me to that home river of yours.

      Delete
  5. I've been reading through your blog after finding it on the Lifelist Fishing Club on Facebook. Great stuff here. I'm a fly fisher and a life lister (though not just on the fly). I now live in Idaho but grew up in PA and spent a lot of time fishing around State College, where I see you have also fished.

    I am impressed by the variety of species you've caught on the fly. Great stuff. I look forward to following along. If you ever find yourself in Idaho, look me up and I'd love to show you both "destination" trout streams and some of our cool overlooked species.

    Matt Miller
    Author, Fishing Through the Apocalypse (Lyons Press)
    Writer/editor, The Nature Conservancy
    m_miller @ tnc.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Glad you're enjoying it. I will certainly find my way to Idaho some time or another.

      Delete
  6. I have one question: does that stream receive stocking? Or its tribs? Or its downstream river?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And the stocked fish do not behave in the same manor as the wild fish. They can readily be taken on most typical nymph presentations, they rise to hatches, they stay in fairly typical places, and the hot summer temperatures do a number on them.

      Delete
  7. "Stay the course"; over time you will succeed. (John Bogle)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this, I hope you continue to write- Dave

    ReplyDelete