Saturday, February 16, 2019

Ice Season

This was a better ice year than some here in central CT, but I didn't get out quite as much as last year. We've still got safe ice down here, but the amount of open water and rotted ice is increasing. How much more I'll get out on the ice I don't know, maybe a time or two. But the more open water there is the more I prefer to just fish the open water. So now is as good a time as any to summarize my ice season. 

I wanted to get walleye. 
That didn't happen.

I wanted to get carp. 
That didn't happen.

I wanted big perch. 
Well, I got one. I got a fair number of perch this year but the majority were quite small with the exception of this mighty yellow chunker that ate my jig right in the hole. 




Bluegills remained the place holders. I may not be the most adept ice fisherman, but I can catch bluegills and small largemouth bass consistently.




I endured some harsh conditions on the water this winter. One day, Rick and I went out hunting crappies with the cold wind making 14 degrees feel about 5. His shanty kept us comfortable but we just couldn't find the fish.

On another night I got walloped by a crazy snow squall, and things went from very comfortable to a little dangerous in seconds. By the time I got home, the snow and wind had already subsided.



That may very well be that. I don't know. I'm more in the mood to get some large late winter brown trout and target strange saltwater species than I am to go ice fishing a bunch more. But the weather may dictate those moves.

7 comments:

  1. I was way up in the Haystack Mountain area of Litchfield county yesterday and the ice was 12" thick. Skied all over the lake. And we made ice sculptures.
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0TXLtsPkxN4/XGmLMwUEjlI/AAAAAAAAKig/MzZdCh1Kd782RI5-rrj1sT-JxbsFwsuxwCKgBGAs/s1600/20190216_132825.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Litchfield County has very reliable ice. The ice in most places down here has been shot since I wrote this and I doubt it'll return to a safe state.

      Delete
  2. I put ice fishing on hold a long time ago. You did get some good chunks out under the ice. Go for the open water.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I ice fish the more I enjoy it honestly.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a heck of a lot of fun RM. I've not gotten on the ice this year, regrettably. Fun to see the variety of species you have been able to enjoy on your trips to hard water this year. Definitely be cautious, sure seems the ice is getting punky in areas. But enjoy the last trip or two to the hard water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost certain my local ice is dead for the season. I may go north, but I'm more tempted to start baitfishing the salt to see if I can find something really strange instead.

      Delete
    2. Mon 10 days ago I skated on pond 1 mile from Sound. Last Monday it was unskateable.

      Delete