Saturday, April 18, 2020

Why I Temporarily Quit Trout Fishing

Wild trout are entwined with my soul. I need them, at least every now and then, in order to feel comfortable. I need to see them, I need to fool them, I need to hold them in my hands and try my best to capture their beauty in a digital format. But right now, I am taking a break from fishing for wild trout. It won't be a long break, but in my opinion I owe it to the fish., and I'm going to try to make the case that you should do the same.



On a fairly recent trip, I fished an unlisted, un-stocked, polluted, hard to access small stream. I had only ever seen one other person fish it in the past and I shared it with a small handful of my inner circle of small water wild trout junkies. I've also made sure to mask its possible identity the handful of times I've written about it, maybe employed a bit of "smoke and mirrors" even, and flat out lied about where fish were caught to certain people. But on this trip, the first day I'd been there this year, there were foot prints on just about every sandbar but the hardest to get to, very clearly fisherman, and very clearly fisherman that had no idea what the hell they were doing. There was no cautious approach, no respect for the banks. New trails were worn, bank erosion was obvious. There was trash. More than normal. Fishing trash: line, worm containers, snagged rigs. The number of people not at work or school, want for things to do, venturing to places they wouldn't have otherwise is huge.



I fish 250-320 days a year, right now a no insignificant amount of my income is tied to fishing. So this might sound selfish, like I just don't want other people on what I kinda consider to be my water. It isn't mine, though I have put a lot of work into finding much of it, and I'll be damned if I just sit by and watch a bunch of goons do serious and lasting damage to these places. Thing is, I don't think many of the people who are doing the damage are reading this blog. I think you all reading this are probably mostly very respectful and responsible. So it might be time for those of us that do really care to lay off a little bit. It might be time to give trout a break, because as far as freshwater fish go they are likely the most highly targeted in the country behind black bass, especially in places like the Northeast. There is "trout culture" here. I hate what that culture represents, as it has put fish in an arbitrary hierarchy and lead to a massively skewed idea of what the word conservation means, but for better or worse (it's worse for sure. A few billion times over) that odd trout culture exists here an a LOT of people want to go out and catch trout and don't really care to fish for other species. That's a problem. Increased fishing pressure is focused on a handful of fish species in a more limited number of waters rather than being distributed across all available species and waters. Trout are sensitive fish, very sensitive, and the habitats that can support them are also sensitive. Merely being present on a trout stream, wading in it, walking the banks, has small negative impacts. Catching the trout themselves increases the negative impacts. I generally try to be a non-interventionist naturalist, and that flies completely in the face of also being a fisherman. To catch a fish I need to intervene, and my intervention will always be a negative impact on that fish's life. I've accepted that. And I think there are times when we need to chose, individually, whether we are willing to have that negative impact on the fish, the riparian zone, and everything we interact with on the stream.



This, ladies and gentlemen, is such a time. This won't last forever, this pandemic. But the negative impacts of dramatically increased pressure on sensitive waterways might. Please consider fishing for something other than trout. Spread the fishing pressure out. And, of course, if you do fish a trout stream, report any law infractions to CT DEEP. Oh, and keep a stocked trout here and there if legal. Because those are pollution too, the worst outcome or perhaps the cause of "trout culture". Turn the tide. Fish for something else, maybe even something different each time you go out. Even if it's still in a stream. Do it for the fish.

Wild trout are entwined with my soul... but trout also aren't everything. Accepting that and fishing for other species instead just may save one or two special trout spots from short term destruction.
Until next time,
Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.



Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, and Franky for supporting this blog on Patreon.

18 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years.
    We need more dedicated fishermen like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply say what truths become clear to me based on what I see.

      Delete
  2. Totally agreed, I have seen some depressing sights in places that were minimally impacted by anglers before this pandemic. We are the virus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aug, that's sad to hear. You are right-on with this blog. Fish the lakes and ponds until this situation is over.
    Tie fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally, people wouldn't only fish lakes and ponds either, all that would do is put lakes and ponds under extreme pressure instead. Fishing pressure should be spread appropriately across a broad variety of water bodies and fish species.

      Delete
  4. Today we fished a tributary of the home water--one we never did yet, but have driven and ridden by and admired for years. Turns out there is even an open space easement along it. So we went in--not sure what we would find. Each of us caught a beautiful fallfish--my son's larger, and he had that perfect experience of finding a foam patch, seeing rises to it, and ultimately convincing a nice 9" fish to take his fly off the surface.
    The stocked trout on the home water are seeing a level of pressure that is significantly higher. That's all OK. And like you said, this won't last.

    I do think that the wild trout are going to see higher harvests than usual though. Some people are afraid to buy food from the store even though that is hysteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree that it's all OK that stocked waters are seeing higher fishing pressure as well. Even a hiker can have a hugely negative impact on riparian zones if they aren't conscious, and many aren't. Stocked rivers, if anything, have more to lose from increased pressure because their native fish species are already under the strain of being stocked on.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this way. Two weeks ago my unpopular zone was a shit show. I will spare the details. I fished it today being the weather was cold and rainy, figured not much activity would be going on. I was right, but the fish weren't hitting either. Hard to say how many are left. Connected just as I was planning to leave and it got off with a high jump. I was plenty happy just to have it on.

    Take care,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. It's the same thing everywhere in southern New England.

      Delete
  6. Good writing, but as a parent of 5, you will never see any of them disrespect a fish, or the land. To stop this kind of activity, it’s up to us as parents and friends to police the outdoors and teach by example. I must say I would rather see someone throwing worms outdoors rather than playing video games during this pandemic. I have been asked three times by parents how to get started in fly fishing...hope for our (and wild trout) future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my opinion, based on data and observation, that at times merely being in a place does more damage than good. With an ever increasing world population we are well past a crossroads. There are times and places when those that care will need to make the decision to stay away and make the effort to convince others to as well.

      Delete
  7. It's a great point, and a challenging one. Care for the resources - all aspects of it - is sometimes surprisingly lacking from outdoor culture. Which always surprises me. Very sorry to hear what you are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even those that do care quite a lot can e very ignorant about simple things that do notable damage to a river, pond, etc. and the species that live there. This is an uphill battle I'm not sure we'll win.

      Delete
  8. Is there a positive to the pandemic for trout? There's a heck of a lot less people commuting and driving, therefore there should be less pollutants in the water ways. It may actually alter how people commute, especially for work, forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are possible positives, yes. But I see more positives for some other species.

      Delete
  9. You have made a great website related to fishing.I am impressed to read the content which you have posted.Keep sharing more articles about fishing.
    Fishing Rod in discount price

    ReplyDelete