Thursday, December 17, 2020

More Salmon on the Mickey Finn

 My mission to get a CT Atlantic salmon on a dry this season fell quite short of the goal. On my second outing targeting broodstock salmon and unfortunately the last day I had good conditions for fishing dries, I put in a solid effort for about an hour and only moved one fish that I'm not sure was even a salmon before I gave up and tied on a Cascade. Sometimes I like dictating the day's fishing style; but I know I can't impose my will on the fish; and I do still like to catch. After all I could count on my finger the number of broodstock salmon I'd ever caught. I was determined not to have this be a season where I only caught fish on one day, as every year prior that had been the case. One and done. Eventually I moved a fish with the Cascade. It was a great surface strike but I was sure the fish felt something and I missed it. I gave the fish a rest and switched to the ever productive early season fly, the Mickey Finn. It chased on the next cast. I rested it again. The next time it hammered the fly in a spectacularly visual surface eat and I hooked it solidly. The ensuing fight was pretty damn good. A couple substantial runs, a bunch of jumps... even these hatchery fish can put on a heck of a show.



I continued down the pool and through the next run, moved one more fish that just wouldn't commit, then headed back upriver to hit a tight little spot I'd skipped over before I headed out. Just in case. Sure enough there was a salmon there and she took the Mickey Finn. This one was quite lovely, a lot more chrome compared to those I'd caught before and had better condition fins. It took out all it's energy jumping and it was a very short fight. 


I can't tell you how badly I wish we had wild sea run Atlantics in CT or even just a fishable run in Maine still. At least there are wild landlocked salmon there, but I want big, chrome fish that still have a couple sea lice on them, that make it into backing and sound like a small child landing in the water when the splash down from their high jumps. It is so frustrating to watch as wild salmon stocks world-wide plummet while I haven't the financial means to get to them while some are still good. 

Wait for me, salmon. Please.

 Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, and Geof for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice post and nice salmon, persistence and knowing fish pays off! There's a youtube doc somebody put together called "Fly Fishing in the Anthropocene" that shares your tone on experiencing a waning wild world, fish trying to make it through the outwash of the human growth experiment. I think its a bummer to dwell on but good to recognize.

    On a lighter note, I've heard of folks from VT driving up through to New Brunswick to some good atlantic runs and sleeping in their car to see some intact salmon fisheries. Probably a casual 9 hour drive from CT non-stop but its possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The New Brunswick drive is something I've been considering. I don't know exactly why its so intimidating after multiple Florida road trips.

      Delete
  2. Chasing those salmon sounds like a blast! Glad you connected. I too wish we had an Atlantic Salmon run around these parts. A damn shame that what we had is gone and our efforts to restore at least something failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, some of the time. It can also be some really really slow fishing, hahaha!

      Delete