Monday, August 16, 2021

1wt Acadia National Park Pollock, and the Start of An Odyssey

 After catching plenty of pollock on my 5wt rod in Acadia, I was pleased but not satisfied. See, I had my glass 1wt Geoff Klane kindly built for me, stowed in the 4Runner. These fish seemed the perfect ones to actually give this rod its first saltwater test, something I'd been intending to do for a while. I'd always intended to apply this new rod to smaller saltwater fish and these harbor pollock were just perfect. 

As soon as the opportunity presented itself I was out on the rocks putting that gorgeous little rod to the test. It took more finesse to get a fly where I needed to, but that little stick has surprised me, as Geoff put it that rod's got some moves. I plied the water at a spot I'd never fished before, working a small Clouser along drops, through white wash, and past chutes. Eventually, a pollock came out and hammered the fly, and the game was on! The battle was an exceptional one; every bit as good as I thought I might be missing out with the 5wt.



The 1wt was my constant companion fron then on that week. If I fished I fished that rod, and it was a blast. Unfortunately mackerel were very scarce. An Atlantic mackerel would have complimented this rod so well. 
The pollock were fantastic though. It was so much fun it gave me a good idea.





I want to do a lot more saltwater fly fishing with the 1wt. I want to fish the entire east coast with a 1wt, and apply it to a huge variety of species. Then I'll probably write a book about it... or just a bunch of blog posts, who knows. I already know a lot of the species and situations I want to apply it to: tiny schoolie stripers in CT eating grass shrimp, tide pool rock gunnels, spot croaker in the Chesapeake Bay, juvenile snook in the Tamiami Canal. It's going to be a lot of fun. Stay tuned. 

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, Streamer Swinger, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

5 comments:

  1. It seems like it would be a great new adventure to fish the east coast with the 1wt. And great to see that in book or blog form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a book would be great. That rod must have just the right action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a slow rod, which is to be expected. You just have to qork with it rather than against it.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic little fish! I would really struggle to cast a clouser on a 1 wt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it was a very small, very light clouser!

      Delete