Wednesday, August 18, 2021

At The End of the Country

 The easternmost point in the Continental United States is a wind battered, fog draped lump of rock on the Maine coastline called Quoddy Head. At the mouth of the Bay of Fundy- where the largest tides in the world happen -whales seals, and countless fish pass by through turbulent waters. Fishing vessels have been guided safely through by the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse since 1808 (re-built in 1858). 



On our last morning in Maine Cheyenne and I went as far East as we were allowed without passports. It was my good friend Ian Devlin that had suggested we go to Quoddy Head, and I was thankful for the idea. I really would not have gone otherwise, I'd never heard of the place. It turned out to be one of the most spectacular locations I've ever stepped foot. The drive took us through proper small Downeast Maine communities: quirky, slightly depressed, and oozing character. There are a variety of reasons I love this state, and seeing a replica of the blues mobile parked next to someone's barn is one of those reasons. The town of Lubec, where Quoddy Head is, was just as full of character as I wanted it to be. It was also a border town, which makes it even more interesting.






If you're wondering, I did fish a bit over there. But it wasn't the point, and I didn't catch anything. I'd like to at some point but this wasn't the trip for it. There was actually quite a bit we didn't do or see over there though, and we'll have to go back. 



Maine is a cool state. I intend to be spending quite a lot more time there over the next few years. 

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, Streamer Swinger, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Lubec and Quoddy Head -- you've awakened great memories! So glad you got to see where the sun rises first over the U.S. Did you wee any reverse tide? Somewhere I have magazine clips from a travel writing adventure at Campobello Island. Hope you one day get to take the small plane aerial tour as well. Those E. B. White essays I gave you have several about his farm at Blue Hill, where the pastures ran down to the sea and a spider wove messages to "some pig."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't see any reverse tides. I'd certainly like to

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. "Oozing character" is absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete