Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Intercepting Tropical Storm Henri

 Tropical Storm Henri did almost exactly what I forecast it to do, with some noteworthy deviation. The hype surrounding the storm and the possibility that it could make landfall on Long Island as a hurricane was undercut, literally by the storm being undercut by high pressure on the south side. This resulted in a very windy northeast quadrant and an earl landfall in RI as a tropical storm. We got luck in some respects because the tide was low, and the wind profile of Henri was capable of producing notable storm surge in Narragansett Bay IF he had made landfall around high tide. Rain was substantial and resulted in localized severe flooding in a number of areas, as was forecast. It was a bit frustrating from my perspective to watch people poo-poo the storm after it had passed. It's an incredibly selfish way too look at severe weather. There are some folks who lost property from this storm. Maybe your house wasn't affected, maybe your neighborhood wasn't, maybe even your entire town wasn't at all notably affected. But somebody definitely was. Scale it up and it would be like living within an area that was just within a tornado warning polygon and complaining about how it was all hype when your home didn't even get rained on... meanwhile there's a family five miles away wondering where they're going to live now that their home and vehicles are destroyed, and how they can move on without all of the irreplaceable things they just lost. 

Suffice to say I don't like how weather or weather forecasting is perceived by the general public. That is in part the fault of meteorologist for being unable to communicate something complex to laymen, but people could stand to be less awful to each other as well. Now that I'm done with all that, here's the fun stuff.


I chased Henri in Southern Rhode Island with my partner Cheyenne. I projected a landfall near the RI/CT border a day ahead of time and new that a combination of a safe road network and being in the storm's windy quadrant would make the Point Judith area a good target. Early in the morning of the day Henri made landfall we drove right into the fray. Big swell was rocking the jetties and throwing cobble up into the parking lot at Fisherman's Memorial, and at the lighthouse and Scarborough beach some of the strongest wind gust were battering the shoreline. Just inland, trees blocked roads and knocked out power.









I maintained situational awareness and kept us safe while navigating the treacherous conditions, and got us in the best locations I could to experience the storm. It was a fun storm for us, with minimal risk aside from the possibility of being blocked in an area for a short time because of downed trees. I was strategically planning routes based on how many road options there were out but we still almost got boxed in at one point. Only one of 4 roads out didn't have a tree across it. 
Wind gust exceeding 70mph were recorded along with some minor storm surge, making it the most significant tropical storm I've actually chased. I photo-documented Irene and Sandy but I was just a kid (still am but one with a car now)at the time, so I didn't get to chase those storms. 




As some folks cleaned up the mess Henri left, a a new storm was taking aim at the US coastline. Ida ended up being a storm of historic proportions, and as I sit here in Maryland getting ready to drive through what's left of her I can't help but wonder if I'll ever experience a storm like that. I'd like to, on one hand. On the other is this gut feeling that I shouldn't, because I know what I'll see. It would be worth documenting, and in the truest sense of the word it would be awesome. It would also change my life. I'd see things I never want to see. 

On a fishing related note, Henri pushed in Some really early albies. It's not lights out but they're here. More to come on that.

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, Streamer Swinger, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

2 comments:

  1. Having weathered Tropical Storm Fay with 14-in. of rain in two days, and being brushed by a pair of Cat. 3 "hurry canes" here on the Space Coast, it is interesting to view Henri's visit to New England through eyes. Thqnks for sharing and being cautious.

    ReplyDelete