Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Jon Zukowski and The Brink

Editors Note: Recently, the New England fly fishing community lost a prominent figure to an extremely unfortunate accident that occurred on a well known New Hampshire trout river while in the presence of two other experiences fishing guides. Jon Zukowski's passing has sent shock waves through the community, as he was a well liked shop owner, all around good and humble character, extremely skilled angler, and native fish advocate. The accident that resulted in his death is something that could happen to any one of us. This post was written by Jon's friend Nate Hill, another well known and liked NH guide. He kindly gave me permission to share it here. He feels it is important for as many people to see it as possible and I very much agree. The takeaways here are all to clear and we could all use the reminder that all it takes is one wrong step. 

Jon Zukowski, how do I find the words. I first learned about Jon from my good friend Milan, who kept sending me pictures of Jon holding giant trout. We couldn't comprehend how Jon was catching such fish on the fly rod. I spent the next eight years trying to catch up. In doing so I began running into Jon on the water. What started as casual hello's soon evolved into a deep friendship. We both had a burning love for wild trout and wild places and I had never found another NH angler who matched my passion and surely exceeded my ability in catching them. Over time Jon and I began fishing together, often on the bookends of the seasons when our schedules finally lined up. Later we both joined the NH chapter of Native Fish Coalition. Then when Jon bought Mountain High fly I jumped on board as one of the shops fishing guides. 

While I lived across the state I made sure to stop in the shop whenever I could, always spending way more money and time than I planned. Our conversations of life, fly fishing and fly design went from minutes to hours. The last time I was in the shop, back in March, my son Ellis was with me. Jon and I talked for so long I couldn't believe how good Ellis was being. Then I looked over and saw him fast asleep on the floor. Jon and I laughed about how he was a born shop rat. 

Jon was one of the few anglers who had the ability to imagine and create flies that not only caught the attention of the biggest fish but also looked darn good hanging from their mouths. He was an engineering genius at the vice and his flies will live on forever. 

While Jon's fishing prowess is what drew me to hang out with him it was his genuine and humble-beyond-reason personality that kept him at the top of my fishing buddy list. Jon would glowingly speak of friends and family. Especially his father who he admired more than anyone. "My pops caught this pike, shot this deer" he would often say pointing to pictures on the shop walls. I had to be the one to point to the pictures of Jon holding fish. " Jon that brown looks to be a state record!" I would comment in awe. " I think she probably was" he would shrug with no interest or care in finding out as it would have meant the death of one of his favorite creatures. I have never and will never meet a more brilliant yet humble angler. 

Unfortunately it was Jon's need to put others before himself that became fatal. We all know when standing near the edge of a cliff which step will be fatal. If a personal possession were to fall from such a perch none of us would jump to retrieve it, knowing certain death would result. Like cliffs rivers all have edges, that when crossed, are fatal. Unfortunately in rivers that edge is not visible to the naked eye. It is ever moving and shifting with changes in flow, water temperature, substrait and our attire. When Jon saw our boat floating away he weighed the safety of himself against the safety of the group, he was aware that the edge was near. He hesitated on the brink but in moving water the brink is not something you can stop even close to. Half a step too far was all it took. It was a mistake that almost every angler I know has made themselves. You are wading a river comfortably, you want to get a little better cast. You feel you have control, but a rock rolls, or your foot slips, you end up off your feet, over your head. Most times we are able to right ourselves, scramble to shore and chock it up as a silly mistake. None of us, still here, know how close we have really come to that edge.

 Let us all work to keep ourselves and eachother safely away from that edge. 

To all those who knew, loved, lived and laughed with Jon, my heart is with you always.  Jon, you will be with us forever, mountain high and river wide. Never stop casting to the big ones my friend.



Nate Hill will be a series of swiftwater safety events this spring and summer. The first will be a seminar on May 14th at Ledge Brewing Company in Intervale, NH. I will post updates as needed.

If you'd like to donate to help Jon's memorial service and aid in keeping his shop, Mountain High Fly, running, follow this link: www.gofundme.com

Stay safe out there folks. The risks are bigger than we sometimes believe. My deepest condolences go out the Jon Zukowski's family and friends. 

1 comment:

  1. A sad, but important reminder for all who enter the water.

    ReplyDelete