Friday, May 2, 2014

A Spinner in The Window

After awakening this morning I went to the bathroom to prepare for the day. As is usually the case, I looked out the window. There is always something good to see: deer nibbling on saplings, a fox and it's kits, a woodchuck.... This morning the sight was on the screen of the window. Their sat a beautiful mayfly spinner. I can never figure out why I find them here, as they are often moving water species. The closest stream is a trickle about a quarter mile away. Whatever the case, this little spinner found herself on my window; and as I have always been fascinated by insects, in captivity. After a bit of observation and a photo shoot I returned the little creature to her perch on the window.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo. What grandeur we are able to experience when we slow down and look at the details of mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happens at my house in Durham. We get Quill Gordon spinners and Hendrickson spinners, also from a tiny little trickle not even that close to the house. Our previous house here had a small brook behind it that had MASSIVE hatches of QGs. At times there were so many, it kind of became an annoyance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, that is interesting. I may have to go look for some nymphs.

      Delete