Sunday, July 12, 2015

Micro Flies


Summer. The rivers are low. The water is clear. And, at least during the day, the trout in the bigger rivers can be difficult to fool. Sometimes it works to take a tiny bit of iron with a smidgen of hair and feather on it, roll it in a bit of gink, and tie it to 6x or finer tippet. That's what I did today. The fish catchers this afternoon were a Griffiths Gnat, size 20, and a Klinkhammer Special, size 20. The fish were making the slightest dimples in the surface film as the ate midges, ants, and whatever other minute food items came down the foam train. A few beautiful rainbows found my offerings and took them gracefully. How different this was from throwing giant streamers and mice in the dark last week.



10 comments:

  1. So true. It seems that fly fishing really requires: 1. Seeing the situation, and 2. Adapting tactics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throw some luck in there and you've got the right stuff!

      Delete
  2. Nice catches! They sure like those little ties you floated down. That box of flies is awesome.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got plenty of refusals, so there were some fish that wanted something else.

      Delete
  3. Wow I can't believe you were slinging size 20s...so used to seeing you chucking those huge streamers! What are Klinkhammer specials? I never heard of those. Gorgeous bows by the way! They've definitely been in the river a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use whatever the circumstances demand, and on this occasion my articulated streamers would have done more harm than good. Part of the reason those rainbows are in such good condition is that the were stocked at a fairly young age.

      Delete
  4. Kudos to you my young friend for being able to adjust to what the trout wanted on this day. Pretty impressive! While I don't fish anything that small anymore (#20), heck I can't see the darn things, I do know that Midges are very, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely see them! When it comes down to it, I'd rather be using an artivulated 'Barely Legal' with 1x in higher water with just a little bit of color.

      Delete
  5. RM
    The Gnat has been one pattern that has been really good to me over the years, when things are slow on the tailraces. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a must have pattern. I keep one stuck in my hat for such occasions when it is needed, along with a good old PT.

      Delete