Thursday, March 17, 2016

St. Carptrick's Day

Last year the warm water scene was still pretty sloppy around St. Patrick's Day. This year it is basically April in March. I went out this evening looking for my second carp of the year. Unlike my first outing I screwed up some shots before I got what I was looking for. It was the typical series of disappointments. Two takes on a drag-and-drop presentation that felt like bluegills: that means the crap is twitching its lips to get the fly off, no good. A few lined cruisers. A few perch hookups. If one wants to dance with the golden ghost, he needs to put in the time.


When I finally got a really good shot I new exactly what was going to happen. The fish wasn't particularly big,  and I couldn't actually see it. The mud it was kicking up gave it's position away. It was angled perpendicular to me. I would do a drag-and-drop, the fly would sink in front of the fish's face, I would have a few seconds to notice it, and if all things went well I would hook up and it would go nuts. That's just what happened. I came tight and the fish jumped clean out of the air. It wasn't very big, but even a three or four pound carp can be a task to land. This one would have beaten the piss out of a smallmouth! It just wouldn't give up!




6 comments:

  1. You do have the carp figured out. Nice catch on a calm water day. They can give your arm a workout.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I'll never have any species completely figured, that's the beauty of it.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps this will be my year to hook up with Mr. Carp. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you luck Howard! They are a difficult species to learn.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fish. I'll have to target them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this last cold spell it will be pretty spectacular!

      Delete