Saturday, May 5, 2018

Convergence '18: Long Hours, Low Wage

Fishing the spring run is exhausting. Unequivocally, thoroughly,  frustratingly, sometimes heart breakingly exhausting. Those that don't know any better might believe its oh so relaxing and pleasant and dreamy to be able to fish every day. That always makes me chuckle. Fishing can be very relaxing, but if you really want to do well targeting striped bass, you are going to need to work for it. and sometimes the reward doesn't fully compensate for the work done. And, oftentimes, when the payoff does compensate or over-compensate (if you are lucky), peaceful and relaxing is the exact opposite of what we experience. I know I've just hit it big time if I leave shaking, muttering expletives under my breath, and maybe just a tiny bit scared.

The last couple trips didn't do it. The first was not a skunk but with 3 schoolies, one smallmouth and a walleye between Noah and I, it just didn't live up to my expectations. The second was a full on skunking. I have started to believe that big striped bass don't even exist anymore.








It's very easy to get frustrated, and I don't want you to think that I am dissatisfied with these trips, because I am not. Every time I go fishing it is worth my while. I see more and learn more every single time I hit the water. But I am very goal oriented in my fishing, and it isn't relaxing to kayak 8 miles in 2 days and not find what I'm looking for. The bass should be everywhere, but I just had not found that yet. Herring were present, and it was exciting to see that. We have been seeing about as many herring as ever, and it looked like it was nearly a peak run.



And then, last night, thousands of herring and hundreds of stripers all simultaneously got up and said "hold my beer".

2 comments:

  1. Doing the thing we love is why we do it and the payday doesn't always work out. Low wage or no wage.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete