Sunday, May 20, 2018

Fish Like Foul Weather

Fish like feeding during less than pleasant weather. That has been proven time and time again. That doesn't mean there won't be great bites on sunny, calm days, but if you want to catch them with the best of them, fish in nasty weather.

Early in the week the northeast had a setup that was prime to explode. I was watching the weather closely a few days out, and when it came time it played out exactly they way I expected and hoped it would. It was one of the more memorable severe weather events in the northeast in recent years. As soon as I was confident it my forecast the day of, I went to fish the pre-storm bite. A strong, wet southwest wind pushed insect life into the creeks and south facing shorelines, and a darkening sky and dropping pressure had the fish worked up. I caught the biggest rockbass I've ever seen, a couple dozen perch, some bluegills, a smallmouth, and, interestingly, a bunch of largemouth.






Catching largemouth here isn't unusual, but catching five of them and only one smallmouth is pretty atypical.




As soon as the gust front of the approaching line of severe storms crested the horizon, I got into a good position to watch the show. Within 10 minutes the county was under a tornado warning. The storm was linear in nature and fast moving. I didn't have much time to work with.







Yesterday, the conditions favored stability, weather wise. It was cold, rainy, and breezy. Some species of fish will shut off under these conditions. Others will go hunting. Bullheads are one such fish, and they were hungry yesterday. I caught bluegills and bullheads on both bait and artificials in a steady, misty, uncomfortable rain. 





9 comments:

  1. I agree. Changing barometer = good fishing (usually). I've had my best days fishing the gulf stream, off West Palm, FL in the nastiest weather. Worst fishing days are always clear and calm with no wind and weak tide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flats fishing differs. High sun, calm surface, great fishing.

      Delete
  2. Rowan you amaze me. Quite a variety you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan
    Nice rock bass, with a nice collection of other rod benders: agreed fishing before a front is the kicker for a feeding frenzy in the fish world. I have caught fish on what a lot of southern fishermen call bluebird days, but it is tuff!!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebird days are good for sight fishing, but not much else.

      Delete
  4. That change in weather was amazing and the bite changes to. It's worth getting wet and catching the frenzy eaters.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret to fishing in front of a severe storm is knowing exactly when to get the hell out of dodge. In that case getting wet is not an option.

      Delete