Monday, May 21, 2018

New Hat Walleye Bonanza

Many mistake my preference for wearing the same hat on every fishing trip for pure superstition. That's not really the case. It's not my "lucky " fishing hat. It has a purpose. It shades my face. It keeps my head dry. It keeps my hair, when it is long, from blowing into my face. It helps with sight fishing under a high, bright sun. A good fishing hat must be comfortable. Unlike anything else, my fishing hat is with me on every single outing I make. Confidence and comfort is low without it. A good fishing hat isn't lucky, but if I want to have a good day I damned well have it on my person.

My old Rangeley Region Sport Shop Hat has been in declining condition for a while now, and on Friday I finally decided to retire it. It was no longer comfortable and was damaged beyond the point of repair. I switched my pins over to a reincarnation of my previous fishing hat, a Lane Trap Rock hat, and went out to do a little night fishing. The bite was OK. The hat felt a little uncomfortable. On Saturday I wore it again while fishing for bluegills and bullheads. For some reason the maroon brim felt wrong in the upper periphery of my vision after having a navy blue one there for more than 2 years. I went home, changed, including putting on a dry hat, and went out to and early dinner with the family. After dinner we made a quick stop for groceries. Behind the store was a creek, that section of which I had not fished. So I went to check it out. And I spotted this:


That is a bowfin. A species I have been trying to catch for a while now. Just sitting there in the shallows of a small freestone stream. Had I had a rod with me, I'm pretty sure I would have caught it. 

When I got home I switched my pins over to the hat I had been wearing. It was a bit more comfortable, it was the right color, and I had begun to believe this one might actually have a bit of mojo, considering the bowfin encounter. So I wore it fishing. And, though I knew the conditions were primed for it, I somewhat unwittingly stumbled into the best walleye bite I've ever had. 



In the waters I fish, schooling walleye are rarely accessible from shore, and even from a boat they are difficult to find with fly tackle. Two walleye is a good day. Three is exceptional. On this night I hooked seven and landed five, and only one was under 20 inches.




I pride myself in knowing when to stay and when to go and knowing how to best capitalize on bite windows. When the school I first found got shy, I knew where I had to go. The variables were clear to me. Current. Water temperature. Insect life. Bait fish. Structure. I moved to a spot where those variables should be almost the same, they were, and it payed off. That's when you know you are a good fisherman. I wasn't chasing reports, I wasn't following someone else. I saw potential, I chose an area that had been productive in the past under similar conditions, and when I had fished it out I knew where I could repeat that result. I did it on my own terms.



Stay on your toes. Fish in bad weather. Be mobile. Pay attention to detail. And, most importantly, find a comfortable hat. 

2 comments:

  1. Rowan you are so right about hats and follow your knowledge of where the fish are. I would fish behind a grocery store. Those Walleyes were a real blast, WOW!
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete