Sunday, April 21, 2019

Micro Fishing Time!

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

As things warm up more and more, my mind is wandering to thought of new species and new waters. Rock gunnels, central mudminnows, different sticklebacks, redhorse, swamp darters... there is a lot that I want and I want it soon. Some of the species on my list are pretty tiny. And so I may as well get back into the micro-fishing mindset so I don't miss out on any opportunities that come my way. With properly "springy" weather today, it was as good a time as any. With tanago hook (thank you tenkara bum) flies, some bits of soft plastic, split shot, and my trusty 6'6" rod, I went to visit some ditches.



I was pretty sure I could expect the typical assortment of sun fishes at the first spot and that's exactly what I got. Pumpkinseeds and bluegills. I had hoped for fathead minnows but saw no cyprinids of any kind, just micro sunfish. 

Lepomis gibbosus

Lepomis macrochirus

Lepomis gibbosus


In transit to the next location, which was actually more of a stream than a ditch, I found a small snapping turtle presumably bypassing a mill dam via land. I was very pleased to see him. He was less than pleased to see me. He was a pretty chill dude anyway.

Chelydra serpentina
When I got where I was going I was hoping I would be able to get an upgrade on my current only longnose dace, which wasn't the best example of the species. Indeed they were there, but the backnose dace were both more abundant and more willing. I caught a fair number of that species there but nothing else. 

Rhinichthys atratulus




Though not overly productive, that was a nice little outing to get out and warm up some muscles that haven't been exercised since Noah and I got back from Florida. I do plan to get out and do some more micro fishing fairly soon. I've gone far to long without adding a new species to my life list. 

2 comments:

  1. RM, have you ever seen a dace that looks looks like a Rhinichthys atratulus but has a some what pronounced orange shade along the flank below the black line?
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinostomus funduloides, rosyside dace, and Clinostomus elongatus, red side dace, both match that description.

      Delete