Thursday, April 25, 2019

My First Carp of the Year, In a Weird Way

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

My continued quest for a 30 inch walleye has run into a slight impasse. I've been going every time the conditions have been right, and the fish have been there. But they also have gotten a lot more picky. Perhaps there isn't much of interchange of fish in this place and I'm casting over fish that have already seen my flies a dozen times? I don't know. But I do know that I've only had a couple for sure walleye takes in the last few visits.

Sander vitreus

Then, a few nights ago, with absolutely ideal conditions, I had a take that was by all means walleye like.
And then an initial fight that was, by all means, also walleye like. But big. Really big. And my first glimpse of the fish, in what little ambient light there was, it looked to me like it was a walleye of at least 34 inches and well over 10lbs. I won't lie. I was panicking. I was pretty sure this was a fish of a lifetime. But then I got my light on it....
And I laughed. It was a common carp. A pretty sizable one. And it wasn't foul hooked. It had eaten my little chartreuse and yellow streamer, on the strip, in muddy, dark water, at night. I've caught carp sight fishing in the glow of streetlights at night, and I've caught carp blind casting during the day. Friends of mine have caught carp blind at night, so I knew it was a possibility. I also knew it was extremely unlikely.
The place I was fishing had no easy landing spot for an angry, 20lb+ common carp that didn't do any long runs to use up energy, not without getting in the water. Which I wasn't about to do. And so, it was a long, frustrating, and a little annoying getting that thing to hand. But I was glad I did.


Cyprinus carpio
So, that's my first carp of the year; an accident, far later in the year than I'd typically get my first. Since night trout fishing conditions, the herring run, and some other night fishing scenarios are cropping up now, and the walleye are giving me the cold shoulder, I plan to divide my daytime fishing focus between multi species missions and carp for a while. Hopefully I can get my carp mojo back.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious. Makes me think of the time I caught a sucker on a willow leaf bladed, white and chartreuse skirted spinnerbait. Why that fish bit a spinner bait... Only mother nature herself could answer!

    Very cool catch RM! Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

    Do you start seeking bowfin yet, or let it get a bit warmer still?
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably could be, though the CT River is still cold with snow runoff and really, really f****** high.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Looks like there's no hoping about it. You've definitely got Carp Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidental catches do not mojo make. I know I'm not as good at sight fishing for big carp as I used to be.

      Delete
  3. Well, you just never no what is going to take that thing on the end of your line. Glad you managed to get that beast to hand. What a rush!
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still hate that cliche. Unexpected and unlikely though this catch was, I knew it was possible, especially under those conditions in that spot. I make it my business to know exactly what is possible. If I never knew, I wouldn't be as good an angler as I am.

      Delete